Reporting to the Regional Director, based in Nairobi, s/he will contribute to the operational activities in Africa and support substantive progress in HD’s work on peace processes in the region.
- Management of new and existing programmes in Africa, at the request of the Regional Director;
- Support to identify, pursue and manage new mediation work in the region;
- Provide programmatic support in the form of research, analysis and writing;
- Prepare project proposals, budgets, reports and other materials related to fundraising for Africa projects;
- Take the lead in planning and organising workshops, training and other events related to relevant projects;
- Contribute to other lines of work (for example, Mediation Support and Oslo Forum) when needed;
- Represent the HD Centre in different contexts on the continent, including with senior government and institutional officials and donors as needed;
- Establish and maintain contacts with representatives of governments and opposition groups in relevant projects and geographical areas;
- Maintain watching briefs on key priority conflicts;
- Supervise project related international and national staff
- Any other tasks as requested by the supervisor.
- A deep knowledge of African affairs and significant professional experience in the region;
- A Master’s degree in Conflict Resolution /Political Science/Development Studies or a related field;
- Extensive knowledge of or experience in international peace and security issues, the United Nations, African Union, and conflict mediation;
- 9-15 years work experience in an international environment, with emphasis in the African region;
- Experience in project management and development of new projects, building and management of networks and preparation of high level gatherings;
- Experience in political analysis particularly written, in the area of conflict resolution, is an asset;
- Fluency in French strongly desired;
- Sound interpersonal skills and confidence in dealing with high level personalities;
- Experience working in and managing a team of staff in a project setting;
- High motivation and enthusiasm, sense of initiative, creativity and capacity to multi task.
If you are interested in this position and meet the above described qualifications, please send your resume (maximum 2 pages) with a short introduction before 8th November 2013 to firstname.lastname@example.org.