Save the Children Child Rights Governance and Child Protection Contextual Analysis and Mapping Terms of Reference 2013
Title: Child Rights Governance (CRG) and Child Protection (CP) Contextual Analysis and Mapping
Terms of Reference (TOR)
In 2012, Save the Children International (SCI) East Africa Regional Office (EARO) was established, to oversee and manage eight country offices in East Africa, namely Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, Sudan, South Sudan and Somalia.
The purpose of the contextual analysis and mapping on CRG and CP will have three components as stated below:
1.1 External – analyze CRG and CP trends in the East Africa region, utilizing existing SCI child rights situation analyses (CRSAs), additional relevant resources and explore the interface with regional bodies e.g. the African Union (AU), East African Community (EAC) and East African Standby Force (EASF);
CP is defined by SCI as the measures and structures put in place to prevent and respond to abuse, neglect, exploitation and violence affecting children.
There are four areas within CP that are crucial within SCI namely children and work, child protection in emergencies (CPIE), children without appropriate care (CWAC) and preventing physical and humiliating punishment (PHP). SCI works to ensure that:
All children thrive in a safe family environment and no child is placed in harmful institutions.
SCI refers to this as the CP breakthrough.
CRG aims to support and if necessary put pressure on states to put in place the system necessary to make children’s rights realities and facilitate a vibrant civil society (including children) to be able to hold them accountable when they fail to do so.
All children, especially the poorest, benefit from greater public investment and better use of society’s resources in realizing their rights.
SCI refers to this as the CRG breakthrough.
The areas of work that CRG focuses on include CRs monitoring, strengthening national systems, building awareness and capacity, and investment in children.
The purpose of the consultancy is to develop a comprehensive CRG and CP contextual analysis and mapping based on external analysis, internal mapping and development of concrete recommendations that can influence the CRG and CP strategy for SCI EARO.
2.1 Two user friendly tools for the external analysis and the internal mapping are produced of CRG and CP trends in East Africa
3. Methodology and Management of the Consultant
The consultant will submit the methodology to be used noting the activities mentioned below.
- Develop two user friendly tools for the external analysis and the internal mapping
- Carry out an analysis of the CRG and CP external trends in the region and the interface with regional bodies e.g. EAC, AUC and EASF
- Map the internal CRG and CP programs within EARO
- Travel to at least 3 out of the 8 countries and visit at least 3 regional bodies e.g. AUC, EAC and EASF
- Desk review of regional bodies and information received from 5 SCI COs
- Prepare the 1st draft of the report and carry out a validation workshop
- Incorporate comments, finalize the report and submit
- Minimum of Master’s Degree in Social Sciences, Political Sciences, International Development or related field.
- Experience in child rights within East Africa, and knowledge of the trends in child rights in the countries such as Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Sudan, South Sudan or Somalia.
- Excellent research and an analysis skills in contextual analysis and mapping of child rights
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated high level of professionalism and an ability to work independently with tight deadlines
- Knowledge of the political, social, economic and institutional trends in the region
5. Submitting expressions of interest (maximum 5 pages)
Interested individuals must submit a technical and financial proposal of a maximum of five (5) pages, which will be assessed, based on the following criteria
- A cover letter introducing the consultant and how the skills and competencies above are met, with concrete examples as appropriate.
- An outline including proposed methodology, time schedule and work plan.
- A CV detailing relevant skills and experience, of East Africa with an emphasis on the Political, Social, Economic and Environmental trends affecting children, including 3 contactable referees
- Proven record of experience in developing contextual analysis and working on child rights issues in the region.
- One or two examples of a final report prepared by the consultant
- Reasonable budget breakdown and cost consideration
- Previous experience with Save the Children
- Experience and reputation in the sector
- Response to TOR (scope of services and methodology)
- Response to selection criteria
- Reasonable budget break down and cost consideration
- Quality of presentation
- Team qualifications and 3 references provided
Save the Children East Africa Regional Office EA.firstname.lastname@example.org by 25th October 2013.