RCTP Nyanza Research Dietitian Consultant Job opportunity today in Kisumu Kenya
Program Description: The Research Care and Training Program (RCTP), is a collaboration between Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI), University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) and University of Washington (UW RCTP is seeking motivated individuals to fill the Vacancy of Research dietitian consultant in the PIDH MOROMO study.
Job Title: Research Dietitian Consultant
Reports to: Principal Investigator
Duty Station: Kisumu
Vacancy No. FN-081-10-2013
Job Summary: This is a short-term (approximately 2 months) full time consultancy position based in Nyanza province, Kenya.
Our ongoing research includes an NIH-funded longitudinal study examining the role of nutrition in pregnant women with HIV infection, and the implications on the health of their infants.
We are interested in estimating the dietary intake and clinical, social and other contextual factors that influence such intake among HIV-seropositive and HIV-negative women and their infants in this setting.
This position will involve interviewing women, with the assistance of a local translator if necessary, to obtain a dietary history of usual intake, including appetite cues and self-reported appetite sensations, household level barriers to food and micronutrient security, clinical status including signs and symptoms of malnutrition that will form the basis for the use of dietary intake methodology appropriate in this setting.
- Registered Dietitian
- Knowledge of and experience using dietary intake estimation methods including dietary histories, 24-hour recalls
- Knowledge of analysis of 24 hour recall data using nutrient databases
- Attention to detail in observations, data collection and reporting
- Ability to effectively manage simultaneous or changing priorities; meet deadlines Cross-cultural experience is a highly desired asset
- Research experience an asset, or demonstrated ability to work as an integral member of an interdisciplinary team
- Swahili or dholuo competency an asset
- Stipend commensurate with experience.
- All local study related expenses (e.g. travel to household interviews, computer access, mobile phone credit) will be reimbursed to the consultant upon presentation of receipts and based on prior approval by the study supervisor.
- The consultant is responsible for their own room and board and health insurance.
- The consultant’s roundtrip transport costs to study site will be provided.
- Additional benefits include the opportunity to contribute as an author to research manuscripts, involvement in subsequent clinical studies, and the ability to build a competitive C.V. for future research and/or educational opportunities.
How to Apply
Applicants should send a cover letter describing their dietetic, research and cross-cultural experiences, curriculum vitae, and contact details of three references.
This position is open to U.S. and Kenyan nationals.
However, Priority will be given to Kenyan Nationals.
All applications must be sent electronically to the email address below followed by hard copies which should be delivered or posted so as to reach the following address by 31st October 2013:
Human Resources Manager
KEMRI – RCTP/ FACES Program
P. O Box 614-40100
Please write the Vacancy Number, and Position applied for on the envelope and in the subject Line of the Email.
Note: RCTP or any of its programs, Studies or Projects does not solicit for Money or any form of reward for a Job applicant to be considered for employment. Any such requests should be immediately reported to the HR department. Any job applicant who tries to corrupt our employee during any stage of the staff hiring process will be disqualified.