Bus Assistant/Mechanic Job. Nova Pioneer
Imagine a world in which every young person across Africa attends a school that truly sets them up for success in the 21st century. A school that cares about individual students and allows them to explore the world around them. A school that focuses more on developing skills than on memorizing content. At Nova Pioneer, we have done more than just imagine this future, we are bringing it to life.
Nova Pioneer is a pan-African, independent network of schools offering high quality, accessible education from pre-primary through secondary school. Nova Pioneer uses a unique, enquiry-based learning approach that encourages students to ask “why” instead of telling them the “what”.
It allows them to form their own thinking through exploration, investigation and collaboration. Nova Pioneer currently has 6 schools in South Africa and Kenya with a vision to launch 100 schools and reach tens of thousands of students across the African continent in the next decade. To learn more visit www.novapioneer.com.
- The Bus Assistant / Mechanic shall be responsible and accountable for the safe and efficient execution of daily transportation of students and assisting the mechanical maintenance team in their duties of the Nova Pioneer’s fleet maintenance.
- Directly reports to the Transport Manager.
Duties for the Bus Assistant/Mechanic Job
- Account for every student who is to board or alight from the bus in accordance with the boarding sheet.
- Ensure that all students are seated and have fastened their seat-belts before commencement of every journey and hand them to the designated guardian both in school and at home.
- Propose or recommend to the Transport Manager any improvements that may result in more efficient route planning by observing and tracking route timings.
- Convey any feedback/comment/enquiry from parents or guardians to the Transport Manager.
- Deliver any documents or medication and convey dosage instructions that may have been given by a student’s parent /guardian to the School Nurse.
Mechanic Duties & Responsibilities
- Diagnosis of malfunctions and troubleshooting: Assist in any exercise conducted to establish the nature of motor vehicle mechanical problems being experienced, track their frequency and any other unusual occurrences. Conduct inspections and test-drives to establish the cause of the mechanical problems and thereafter to confirm that they have been resolved.
- Assist in the undertaking or supervision of repair of all school motor vehicles: by participating in the fixing and repair of any malfunction/fault on the vehicle’s mechanical systems including and not limited to; engine components and parts, engine cooling system, suspension and steering system, braking system, transmission system, exhaust system.
- Routine Maintenance: Assist in the performance of weekly safety and maintenance checks on all Nova Pioneer vehicles, document all recommended safety and maintenance data and use it to monitor Key Performance Indicators used in strategic decision making.
- Documentation: Assist in the recording of complete and accurate transport related control documents which include; Job Cards for each repair to be carried, Parts Requisition Form.
- Feedback: Propose, participate and provide feedback to the Transport Manager on repairs that have been undertaken and maintain a proactive approach towards the execution of tasks.
- Timelines: Work within timelines that ensure the school motor vehicles are ready for daily routes services with minimum or no interruption.
- Perform any other duties as assigned on behalf of the organization including running errands, transporting staff and ferrying students to the hospital for emergency cases.
Compliance with Internal Policies, Standards, National Laws & Regulations
- Adhere to the stipulated standards and conduct outlined by the Nova Pioneer Transport Policy, the Nova Pioneer Employee Handbook and other relevant policies.
- Ensure that all National and County Legal requirements such as licenses, permits or certificates are met and continually kept current or updated. This includes any motor vehicle licenses, approvals, certificates and permits.
Champion & Promote Safety & Best Work Practices
- Conduct weekly workplace inspection to ascertain adherence to the Workplace Health & Safety Protocols and other relevant standards.
- Participate and own all Health & Safety initiatives that may be recommended by the Health & Safety Committee or other Organisation or School Leadership organs.
- Responsibly handle and operate tools, equipment and machinery according to the prescribed manufacturer’s recommendations and safety procedures.
- Correct unsafe conditions in the work area and promptly report any conditions that are not correctable to the supervisor.
- Keep the workshop, equipment and tools in safe operating condition.
Live the Nova Pioneer Culture
- Fully embrace Nova Pioneer’s culture, values and beliefs and promote them to students, staff, parents and members of the outside community.
- Work collaboratively and cohesively in a team, being mindful and respectful of each person’s contributions and style.
- Maintain the adopted Nova Pioneer Transport Policy approach of door-to-door student pick-up and drop-off.
- Ensure the strict adherence of the various Transport Services Standard Operating Procedures.
- Attend and participate in team meetings that arise throughout the school year.
- Proactively monitor and report/act on Customer Feedback.
- Adhere to the Transport Services Safety and Operating Procedures and provide timely feedback.
- Ensure accurate and timely documentation of all relevant records.
- Performs other duties as assigned by your Manager from time to time.
Bus Assistant/Mechanic Job Requirements
- Diploma in Auto-mechanical engineering from a recognized institution.
- Knowledge of highway code and school bus regulations.
- Possess a PSV License.
- Possess a BCE- Class Driving License for more than 8 years.
- Must Possess a recent (not older than 6 months) Certificate of Good Conduct.
- Recommendation letters from previous employers.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience with school bus transportation.
- Ability to operate a school bus in a safe and responsible manner.
- Client service and public interaction skills.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Effective verbal and listening communications skills.
- First aid knowledge.
How to Apply