Bus Assistant Job at Nova Pioneer
Imagine a world in which every young person across Africa attends a school that truly sets them up for success in the 21st century. A school that cares about individual students and allows them to explore the world around them. A school that focuses more on developing skills than on memorizing content. At Nova Pioneer, we have done more than just imagine this future, we are bringing it to life. Nova Pioneer is a pan-African, independent network of schools offering high quality, accessible education from pre-primary through secondary school.
Nova Pioneer uses a unique, enquiry-based learning approach that encourages students to ask “why” instead of telling them the “what”. It allows them to form their own thinking through exploration, investigation and collaboration. Nova Pioneer currently has 6 schools in South Africa and Kenya with a vision to launch 100 schools and reach tens of thousands of students across the African continent in the next decade. To learn more visit www.novapioneer.com.
Overview of Role & Responsibilities
- The Bus Assistant will be responsible and accountable for the safe and efficient execution of daily transportation of students.
- Directly reports to the Transport Manager.
Bus Assistant Job Responsibilities
- Account for every student who is to board or alight from the bus in accordance with the boarding sheet.
- Ensure that all students are seated and have fastened their seat-belts before commencement of every journey and hand them to the designated guardian both in school and at home.
- Propose or recommend to the Transport Manager any improvements that may result in more efficient route planning by observing and tracking route timings.
- Convey any feedback/comment/enquiry from parents or guardians to the Transport Manager.
- Deliver any documents or medication and convey dosage instructions that may have been given by a student’s parent /guardian to the School Nurse.
- Perform any other duties as assigned on behalf of the organization including running errands, transporting staff and ferrying students to the hospital for emergency cases.
Compliance with Internal Policies, Standards, National Laws & Regulations
- Adhere to the stipulated standards and conduct outlined by the Nova Pioneer Transport Policy, the Nova Pioneer Employee Handbook and other relevant policies.
- Ensure that all National and County Legal requirements such as licenses, permits or certificates are met and continually kept current or updated . This includes any motor vehicle licenses, approvals, certificates and permits.
Champion & Promote Safety & Best Work Practices
- Conduct weekly workplace inspection to ascertain adherence to the Workplace Health & Safety Protocols and other relevant standards.
- Participate and own all Health & Safety initiatives that may be recommended by the Health & Safety Committee or other Organisation or School Leadership organs.
- Responsibly handle and operate tools, equipment and machinery according to the prescribed manufacturer’s recommendations and safety procedures.
- Correct unsafe conditions in the work area and promptly report any conditions that are not correctable to the supervisor.
- Keep the workshop, equipment and tools in safe operating condition.
Live the Nova Pioneer Culture
- Fully embrace Nova Pioneer’s culture, values and beliefs and promote them to students, staff, parents and members of the outside community.
- Work collaboratively and cohesively in a team, being mindful and respectful of each person’s contributions and style.
- Maintain the adopted Nova Pioneer Transport Policy approach of door-to-door student pick-up and drop-off.
- Ensure the strict adherence of the various Transport Services Standard Operating Procedures.
- Attend and participate in team meetings that arise throughout the school year.
- Proactively monitor and report/act on Customer Feedback.
- Adhere to the Transport Services Safety and Operating Procedures and provide timely feedback.
- Ensure accurate and timely documentation of all relevant records.
- Performs other duties as assigned by your Manager from time to time.
Requirements for the Bus Assistant Job
- Certificate in customer care will be an added advantage.
- Ability to work, monitor and assist young children while on the bus.
- Must possess a recent (not older than 6 months) Certificate of Good Conduct.
- Experience with school bus transportation will be an added advantage.
- Recommendation from previous employers.
- Ability to take care of pupils while on the bus.
- Client service and public interaction skills.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Effective verbal and listening communications skills
- First aid knowledge
How to Apply