Norwegian Refugee Council
WASH Specialist – Kenya
(Kenya Nationals Only)
Ref. nr.: 3425345132
Job location: Nairobi
Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has been present in Somalia since early 2004 and has since expanded its Horn of Africa Programme to Kenya in 2006 and to populations.
The Regional Office is based in Nairobi, Kenya with offices and operations in Ethiopia in 2011.
Since 2004, the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has demonstrated a regional competence and expertise in working with displaced Somalia (Puntland, Somaliland and Mogadishu), Kenya (Dadaab and Kakuma ), Ethiopia (Addis Ababa, Dolo Ado, Shire,Gambella and Asosa), South Sudan (Juba, Awil, Alek and Aweril) and Yemen (Sa’naa and Aden).
The NRC Horn of Africa & Yemen mission is an expanding programme. NRC started its operations in Kenya in the refugee camps in Dadaab in February 2007.
NRC has WASH, Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihood and Information Counselling and Legal Assistant programmes implemented in the refugee camps in Dadaab, Kakuma and Mandera.
The WASH Specialist will be responsible for the overall supervision and coordination of WASH projects in the Kenya programme.
WASH Specialist reports to the Head of Programmes
- Develop WASH strategy, technical SOPs, and Macro LFAs in line with NRC
- Programme Policy and national and international standards, and in coordination with other Core Competences
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Contribute to fundraising, develop and revise funding proposal, budgets and donor reports
- Identify trends technical standards and donor priorities
- Follow up on compliance with contractual commitments within WASH CC, ensure high technical quality and synergies in project implementation
- Provide technical direction and project implementation support
- Ensure that key learnings are extracted from WASH CC implementation, and incorporate them in WASH CC and staff development processes
- Provide systematic training and build capacity of technical staff
- Represent NRC in relevant forums/clusters, including with national authorities and donors
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Ensure harmonization and consistency across WASH projects implemented in the field offices.
- Responsible for technical quality and innovation of the WASH program, and for seeking synergies with other Core Competences/programs.
- Responsible for developing and revising funding proposals, budgets and donor reports in accordance with the WASH program strategy and priorities, programme policy and international standards
- Responsible for following up the compliance with grants commitments (i.e. quality, timeliness, use of resources), and for providing recommendations to Project Coordinators to achieve project targets and indicators
- Provide technical direction and project implementation support to AMs and PCs in the field, included capacity building
- Ensuring that Team Areas Offices have a WASH structure compliant with CC Strategy and able to deliver quality WASH programme
- Guide the teams in developing tools for day-to-day implementation, ensuring compliance with established guidelines and standards.
- Evaluation, review and quality control of ongoing and completed WASH projects.
- Ensure adherence to the WASH tools and handbooks and other NRC policies
- Represent NRC at WASH sectoral meetings and relevant WASH working groups at Nairobi level and if need be in operational areas
- Any other task relevant to the position as requested by the Head of Programme
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in working as a senior Program Manager and/or Advisor of humanitarian/ recovery WASH programme, preferably in refugees / IDPs environments
- Proven expertise in WASH with particular focus of complex emergency programme, community based and participatory programme.
- Proven experience of setting up and implementing monitoring, documentation and learning systems.
- University degree in relevant areas such as water and / or civil engineering, environmental engineering; master’s qualification in related area an advantage.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, analytical and negotiation skills
- Proven skills and experience in report and proposal writing
- Ability to prioritize needs and carry out multiple tasks simultaneously
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Prior experience and proven capability in training and capacity development
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Medicine / Healthcare / Social
- Engineering sciences & technology
- College / University, Bachelor’s degree
- Flexible and creative, think unconventionally, be creative – and inspire others
- Openness in processes. Involvement across levels and organizational units based on mutual respect
- Consistency and integrity in all information and all decision-making processes
- Ability to work under pressure and with limited supervision
- Good communication skills
Duty station: Nairobi
Contract period is for 12 months with possibility of extension.
Salary / benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for the NRC Office in Nairobi.
Travel: Some travelling must be expected
How to Apply
Candidates should apply on line by going through www.nrc.no.
Email and paper applications will not be considered
- Location: Kenya
- Industry: Emergency Relief
- Special field: WASH
- Role: Middle / line manager
Deadline for application: 12/05/2017