Position: Project Officer
Responsible To: Project Health Coordinator
Relationships internally: All programme staff
Relationships externally: County health authority, other national and international organizations, NGO networks and donors
Location: Merlin Lodwar Office
Start Date: ASAP
Duration: 9 months
Salary: KShs 100,000/- per month (dependant on relevant experience)
Benefits: Insurance cover, 15% of Basic Salary as House Allowance, and annual leave entitlement of 24 days per annum
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Due to the urgency of this position, applications will be shortlisted on a regular basis and we may offer this post before the closing date.
Please note: this is a local recruitment position.
Merlin International Profile
Merlin is the only UK specialist Non Governmental Organisation (NGO), founded in 1993, which responds worldwide, with vital healthcare and medical relief for vulnerable people affected by natural disasters, conflict and healthcare collapse.
Each year, Merlin assists more than 15 million people, in up to 20 countries, through working with local healthcare actors including government, community groups and NGOs.
Merlin has been operational in Kenya since 1998 and is currently operating in two geographic regions: Kisii and Nyamira counties in western Kenya and Turkana County in north-western Kenya.
Merlin’s strategic goal in Kenya is to improve access to an integrated package of essential health services for the vulnerable population of the country. Merlin maintains offices in Nairobi, Kisii and in Lodwar town in Turkana County.
Merlin’s work in Kenya includes implementing health, nutrition, HIV/AIDS-TB prevention and care and malaria projects.
Merlin has submitted to UNICEF a proposal for the implementation of a health project in Turkana County with a focus on maternal, neonatal and child health and community based management of malaria and diarrhoea (ICCM).
This position will have the responsibility for managing this project.
Overall objective of the position
The Project Officer will plan, guide and support implementation of Merlin’s UNICEF supported health project in Turkana County.
- Support and supervise Merlin staff working in this project
- Plan and supervise implementation of project activities together with Merlin senior management team at field level, MOH counterparts and UNICEF field focal point
- Manage project budget including monitoring of expenditures
- Represent Merlin in all health coordination forums in conjunction with project health coordinator
- Consolidate activity reports and ensure timely submission to his/ her supervisor for onward submission to project coordinator and country office.
- Organise and coordinate health worker trainings in consultation with County health authorities
- Support county health authorities to properly manage medical supplies including monitoring of consumption
- Initiate and participate in all multi-stakeholders advocacy activities, forums and networks aimed at raising the profile of Merlin project issues in the agenda of government, partner NGOs and communities.
- In charge of financial and logistical functions regarding the project at the field level in accordance with Merlin procedures.
- To carry-out any other duties and/or responsibilities assigned by the immediate supervisor
- To be flexible as required
- Qualification in Public/ Community Health and/or development studies
- Strong background in humanitarian projects
- Previous field coordination and management experience of primary health care projects
- Proven problem solving and organisational skills
- Diplomatic and effective communicator at all levels
- Strong leadership skills
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Computer skills
- Previous work experience with INGOs in project management
To apply for this position
All applications including cover letter and CV should be sent to:
Merlin, Nairobi Office,
P.O Box 3350 – 00200, Nairobi, Kenya
Email to: email@example.com
Application deadline is 5:00pm on Tuesday 22nd October 2013. Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Please note that in accordance with the 1998 Data Protection Act, Merlin will hold and use personal information that you have given for the purpose of recruitment and employment. This information can be stored in manual and/or electronic form. This information may also be disclosed to third parties in accordance with the Data Protection Act. In cases where a job offer is conditional on ensuring that potential employees’ names do not appear on counter terrorism lists generated by the United Nations, European Union or the United States due to donor funding requirements, Merlin will use the information that you have given for checking that your name does not appear on these lists.