Latest Job Vacancy Kenya: Senior Systems Analyst in Kenya Jan 2018
Current Job Vacancy Kenya: Senior Systems Analyst in Kenya Jan 2018
Job Vacancy Kenya: Senior Systems Analyst in Kenya Jan 2018
Organization: Development Pathways
Country: Kenya, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Closing date: 23 Feb 2018
Position: Senior Systems Analyst
Contract: Permanent position
Reporting to: Senior Management Information Systems Specialist
Location of Work: Based in the Development Pathways’ office in Nairobi, Kenya, or Development Pathways London Office with international Travel of up to 3 months per year
Development Pathways is an international consultancy organisation providing expert advice to clients in areas including: social protection, social development, gender, livelihoods, financial inclusion and management information systems. We are committed to innovative, progressive and evidence-based social policy and aim to influence international debates on social policy through our website and participation in international fora. We combine country-specific social and political analysis with lessons learnt from extensive international experience to ensure that policies and programmes are robust and benefit the most vulnerable, including: children, women, older persons and persons with disabilities.
Development Pathways has worked extensively across Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America and the Caribbean, delivering on high quality consultancy assignments for a variety of multilateral institutions such as the World Bank, Asian Development Bank (ADB), International Labour Organisation (ILO), United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), World Food Programme (WFP), and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP); bilateral donors such as the UK Department for International Development (DFID) and Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT); and international NGOs such as Save the Children, Action Against Hunger, and HelpAge International.
Development Pathways currently has 22 permanent staff across the two offices, working alongside a large global network of trusted consultants. Our offices are located in Orpington, UK and Nairobi, Kenya. Our work in management information systems is run out of the Kenya office. As an employer, we put our staff first and are committed to flexible working practices and developing our staff’s professional capabilities. For more information about our organisation, please visit www.developmentpathways.co.uk.
This position will be based in either our Kenya or UK Office and will be part of Development Pathways growing team of internal consultants focusing on upstream activities of analysis and design of social policy management information systems for several international clients. The Senior Systems Analyst will primarily focus on the remit of translating the high-level requirements into detailed system requirements which will describe Social Policy MIS business processes into processes maps, use case diagrams, entity relationship diagrams and data flow diagrams; document system interfaces (User Experience – UX and User Interface – UI) and develop data models. Much of the work will be delivered from the Development Pathways’ Nairobi or London offices but will involve international travel.
The successful applicant will not only have strong technical expertise but must be able to engage effectively with a wide range of clients, including Government and development partners across Asia and Africa. S/he must also be capable of working in a team while also have the capacity to provide leadership of teams.
Any applicants wishing to be based in the UK must have existing rights to work in the UK.
To play an important role in the growth of Development Pathways by working with Senior Management information System Specialists, support engineers and other developers to: strengthen our reputation as leading specialists in the fields of management information system in social protection, social and economic development and broader social policy; research on the latest trends on software development, building new and enhancing existing social policy management information systems and providing technical advice to projects.
The Senior Systems Analyst will be part of MIS leadership team responsible for the following roles and responsibilities:
- Provide technical leadership and quality control over the development and implementation of the social policy MISs;
- Scope out high level functional and technical requirements and leading in the development of system analysis and design specifications for social policy MISs;
- Responsible for ensuring stakeholders are aligned with and aware of the strategy, vision, capability and constraints of the Social Protection MIS platform and operating model;
- Translate the high-level requirements into detailed system requirements which will describe Social Protection MIS business processes into low level processes maps, use case diagrams and data flow diagrams;
- Production of wireframes, user interface specifications, creating visual prototypes, and ensuring the Social Protection MIS outputs have the user experience in mind;
- Documentation of the database design, data models, entity relationship diagrams;
- Communication of functional design and quality criteria to the development team;
- Focal point for queries / issues related to system functionality through all phases of the MIS project design and implementation;
- Provide consultancy inputs on assignments contracted by Development Pathways: some will require overseas travel while others will be desk based;
- Support the Systems Developers to design and implement the appropriate architecture and development framework to meet the requirements;
- Mentor other software developers and junior system analysts in the Company, by building on their technical skills in systems analysis and design;
- Research on the latest technological frameworks for software development and develop appropriate and cost-effective plans for migrating legacy MISs, built by Development Pathways; and
- Post implementation review of the project with stakeholders and support the client in determining future MIS development options.
D. Person Specifications
The Senior Systems Analyst must have the following qualifications, skills and competencies:
· A degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Science or related degree. A Master’s Degree in Computer-related field is preferable;
· A minimum of 10 years of technology experience working in ICT industry with at least 5 years’ hands-on expertise managing projects with strong Information and Communication Technology (ICT) component;
· 5 years of experience in user interface and user experience design as well as experience with relevant tools, such as Adobe Experience Design, Macaw, Axure RP, and Balsamiq;
· Strong experience in conducting business process reviews, functional gaps and overlaps in the programs, particularly for integrated programs;
· Good interpersonal and time management skills;
· Effective communication, negotiation and relationship-building skills;
· Extensive knowledge of data processing, hardware platforms, and enterprise software applications;
· Technical experience with systems networking, databases, Web development, and user support;
· Good background in Data Base design especially relational database management systems such as Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, MYSQL, etc.;
· Background in fourth generational programming languages such as Java, Microsoft Visual Studio.NET, Visual Basic, PHP, Borland Delphi etc.;
· Sound knowledge of MISs or other relevant information systems; and
· Fluent in English.
· International work experience in developing countries conducting similar work is an advantage; and
· Proficiency in French, Portuguese and/or Spanish.
E. Salary Range
The successful candidate will receive a competitive remuneration package, including private medical insurance, company pension scheme and will be eligible to be part of the company bonus scheme.
How to apply:
HOW TO APPLY
We invite interested candidates who meet the requirements to email their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications should include:
- A one-page letter explaining why you are applying for this position, and how your recent relevant experience and skills meet the requirements for this position;
- A detailed Curriculum Vitae (maximum of two pages) specifying your qualifications, education and relevant work experience;
- Names, email addresses and day-time contact numbers for two referees.
- In addition, please provide your current salary and your expected salary for this post.
The closing date is 5pm GMT on Friday, 23rd of February 2018. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and a successful candidate may be selected prior to the closing date.
Due to the high number of applications expected, unfortunately, only successful candidates will be contacted.