During the first Medium Term Plan, The government adopted transformation of KIRDI as a flagship project within the manufacturing sector of Vision 2030. The intention is to transform KIRDI into a competitive and reputable research organization.
The Institute therefore, wishes to recruit qualified professionals to undertake the supervision of the above project for a period of three years.
Resident Work Officer
- Answerable to Project Manager.
- Workstation permanently on site.
- To prepare construction supervision manuals outlining routines and procedures to be applied in contract management supervision and administration.
- Review available project documents and drawings for the purposes of understanding the design.
- Ensure design details and information as required for implementation of works are provided by the Project Consultants.
- Issue all the necessary instruction to the Contractor(s), check and control the work to ensure that it is carried out in accordance with contract requirements.
- Provide general guidance to Contractor(s) as may be necessary to ensure that the works are carried out expeditiously according to the agreed schedule and within the terms of Contract(s).
- During the execution of the works carry out inspections of all work areas and installations.
- Receive certificates from Contractor(s), check and approve all material required to ensure compliance.
- Ascertain and agree with the Contractor(s) measurements and payment claims and certify in consultation with Project Manager for proper execution, completion and commissioning of the works and building management system.
- Prepare and submit to the Project Manager;
- Weekly occurrence report.
- Monthly Progress Reports
- Quarterly Reports
- Technical Reports as necessary
- Final completion reports and Maintenance manuals
- Conduct post construction inspections and follow up action during Defects Liability Period including preparation of preventative maintenance system for the buildings.
- Issue a Defect Liability certificate upon completion of the Defects Liability period to enable release of performance bonds.
- Prepare and submit final As-built Drawings, Maintenance and Preventative Maintenance Schedules.
- To advise the Project Manager on all matters relating to claims, from the contractor and to make recommendations thereon, including the possible recourse to arbitration.
- Degree in Architecture or Civil/Structural Engineering from a recognized University. Training in Project Construction management is an added advantage.
- Registered with recognized professional institution.
- Possession of current Practice License from a Professional body.
- A minimum of 12 years professional experience with 8 years on relevant Project Management/Supervision of High rise building.
- Leadership and Managerial skills.
- Proficiency in AUTOCAD, AUTODESK, ARCH CARD, PROKON, STAAD, MASTER SERIES preferred.
- Proficiency in MS Project and other word processing packages.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Reporting to the Resident work officer.
- To provide supervision services for effective implementation of electrical and mechanical installations.
- Review available electrical/mechanical installation design for the purpose of understanding the designs.
- Provide design details as required for implementation of electrical/mechanical works.
- Review electrical/mechanical design works/proposals from the contractor for approval.
- To liaise with sub-contractors, contractors and stakeholders to ensure efficient and effective performance of electrical/mechanical works installation with minimum interference to operations in neighborhoods.
- Undertake project supervision as per plan and specifications of the works.
- Ensure quality assurance measures are followed for compliance with set standards and specifications of the electrical/mechanical works.
- Maintain records of the electrical/mechanical works project cycle at all stages from inception to the end.
- To ensure post-contract period management/supervision services and to ascertain those warranties have been provided and the completed facilities meet operational targets/equipment.
- Ensure the contractor produces accurate As-built drawings for electrical/mechanical installation works.
- B.SC Degree in Electrical/Mechanical engineering or equivalent from recognized university.
- Minimum of 10 years working experiences with at least 7 years in high rise buildings.
- Be a registered electrical/mechanical engineer with an internationally recognized institution.
- Possession of current practice license from professional body.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in AUTOCAD, ARCHCAD.
- Proficiency in MS Project, and other word processing packages.
- Reporting to Resident work officer.
- Provide supervision in accordance with approved design and specifications.
- Act as a liaison between the contractor and Resident work officer.
- Supervise project to ensure construction as per design specifications and time-frame.
- Collect and maintain project field data and measurements of materials to determine stations, progress and payments.
- Provide ad-hoc sketches in consultation with the Resident work officer to aide in implementation of works.
- Collect and complete daily project records.
- Maintain records of project documentation for record and further action as directed by the Resident work officer.
- Assist in drafting and analyzing preliminary drawings towards the design of the works.
- To undertake material testing and provide accurate results with statutory and approved standards and specifications requirements.
- Undertake all materials testing to ascertain compliance with approved standards.
- Provide test results for the Resident work officer interpretation in an accurate and timely manner.
- Undertake material sampling as required.
- Undertake quality assurance on all materials.
- Maintain records of all site laboratory tests records.
- Prepare project testing reports on weekly and monthly basis and as required from time to time.
- Degree, Higher Diploma in Civil/ Structural Engineering/Building Construction.
- Training in materials laboratory testing skills is an added advantage.
- Minimum of 12 years working experience in related field with at least 8 years in high rise buildings.
- Proficiency in engineering and building design/management software.
- Computer literacy.
Interested applicants should forward copies of their application letters, academic and professional certificates, testimonials, up-to-date curriculum vitae and ID card to reach the undersigned not later than Friday 1st November 2013.
Please indicate respective position you wish to be considered for on the application letter and envelope
Kenya Industrial Research and Development Institute (KIRDI)
Popo Road, Nairobi South C
P.O. Box 30650 – 00100
E-mail: dir @kirdi.go.ke
KIRDI is an equal opportunity employer