Employment Vacancy Deputy Executive Director/Programs Coordinator in Kenya April 2017
Job Recruitment Deputy Executive Director/Programs Coordinator in Kenya April 2017
Career Opportunity Deputy Executive Director/Programs Coordinator in Kenya April 2017
Organization: Independent Medico Legal Unit
Closing date: 14 Apr 2017
Vacancy – Deputy Executive Director/Programs Coordinator
The Independent Medico-Legal Unit (IMLU) is a governance, health and human rights non-profit making organization, whose vision is A Just World Free from Torture, Violence and Discrimination. Our work is underpinned by a holistic approach involving litigation, medical and psychosocial rehabilitation of survivors of torture, monitoring government adherence to its human rights obligations and advocacy for policy, legal and institutional reforms. Over the last two decades we have assisted over 5,000 victims of torture, cruel, degrading and inhuman treatment through the support of our national networks of professionals: doctors, trauma counselors, lawyers, paralegals, human rights monitors and journalists.
To support IMLU’s Vision 2021 that entails strengthening the social movement against torture, violence and discrimination, we are looking for a highly motivated individual for the roles below.
Deputy Executive Director/Programs Coordinator
Nairobi with frequent travel locally and internationally
Position reports to
14th April 2017
The purpose of this role is to support the Executive Director in the development and implementation of the organization’s strategies and policies, and to provide leadership and direction to the program team;
Key duties and responsibilities:
A. Deputizing the Executive Director
· Manage the organization in the absence of the Executive Director.
· In partnership with the Executive Director and the Board of Directors and its committees, execute Vision 2021(2017-2021 strategic plan), and implement new processes and approaches to achieve it as appropriate;
· Build on IMLU’s track record of success by working alongside the Executive Director and Board to further develop the organization’s vision, and achieve its goals for continued financial stability and enhance the institutional impact of its’ mission and programs.
· Support the Executive Director to create broader strategies and initiatives, then lead in execution according to the organization’s Vision and Mission;
· Lead a collaborative process with the Executive Director, Board of Directors and its committees, execute decisions effectively and ensure that the Executive Director, Board of Directors and its committees are informed of critical developments in a timely and effective manner;
· Execute all other reasonable duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
B. SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
- Resource Mobilization and Management Function
· Lead in exploring, forecasting and advising the management team on the needs of the organisation, and grant making trends;
· Lead in developing and overseeing organizational work plans and budgets and coordinate the annual operations plan and budget;
· Maintain healthy relationships with development partners including securing of donors, donor advocacy, attend meetings and respond to program related correspondences;
· Develop winning proposals and concepts for financial support and sustainability of programme interventions, in collaboration with all programme officers, and maintain a well-managed proposal tracking matrix;
· Lead in preparation and timely submission of donor reports;
· Provide leadership and direction to the management to ensure organizational compliance;
· Coordinate and ensure timely delivery of internal/external evaluations;
2. Program Monitoring and Evaluation Function
§ Design and implement a functional monitoring and evaluation system including inducting staff on the system;
§ Lead in all organizational monitoring and evaluation interventions;
§ Provide technical support to the program officers in monitoring, evaluation and learning;
§ Monitor program progress and performance in relation to established work plans and objectives and ensure corrective measures are taken as required.
§ Strengthen partnership and coordination with partners and stakeholders within the context of programme implementation.
§ Provide technical support for the development of structured opportunities of institutional learning including highlighting success stories and lessons learnt and develop good practices.
§ Maintain a balanced culture which combines the richness and relevance of programs with the efficacy of best business practices, fiscal accountability, and institutional impact.
3. Human Resources Function;
· Responsible for planning, development, implementation and administration of the organization’s human resources function relating to Programs Department;
· In liaison with the HR officer, assist the Executive Director in performance management of programs’ team against organizational goals, including, mentorship, coaching, guidance, training and development.
· Provide all program staff with a strong day-to-day leadership presence and support an open-door policy among all staff.
· Cultivate IMLU’s values within the organization;
· Lead, motivate, manage and develop staff to invoke passion about IMLU’s mission, theory of change, and foster an environment committed to continuous improvement.
4. Advocacy, and Communications Function
· Partner with the Executive Director to create and implement a strategy for IMLU’s advocacy, public policy and communication initiatives;
· Lead and motivate staff to develop and implement innovative advocacy strategies including use of social media, and leveraging on ICT.
· Communicate organization goals and operational plans to all levels of the organization and to external stakeholders. Make public appearances and present IMLU’s vision and impactful interventions to larger groups for purposes of visibility, resource mobilization and movement building.
- Masters degree in Social Sciences, Law, Medicine, Psychology or other relevant area plus 4 years relevant working experience;
- Undergraduate Degree with 6 years relevant experience
competencies & attributes
- High-level, strategic understanding of social change and progressive movements backed by direct experience with grassroots efforts;
- Commitment to the IMLU’s mission, values, aspirations and the credibility and persuasiveness to secure support from staff.
- Demonstrable experience in successfully supervising and mentoring staff and supporting professional and leadership development.
- Experience and cultural competence working in governance, human rights and social justice context.
- Past success designing and leading organizational development and capacity building.
- Ability to think strategically, creatively problem solve, and exercise good judgment.
- Proven track record of attracting resources and partnerships and managing external relations.
- Excellent communicator and writer with experience, one who can effectively articulate messages to different audiences.
- Results-proven track record of exceeding goals and delivering impact
- Demonstrable capacity to enforce accountability, develop and empower top-notch leaders from the bottom up, lead from the top down, and learn the strengths and weaknesses of the team so as to put people in a position to succeed.
- A track record of embracing challenges and able to act and react as necessary, even with limited information; not afraid to take charge of a situation; can manage resistance to leadership and take unpopular stands when necessary.
- Be a great team player with people skills that not only encourages performances but also instills a sense of humility and achievement which enhances the culture of the organization.
- Ability to work flexible hours and travel.
- Excellent analytical, writing and advocacy skills.
- Proficiency in computer skills.
How to apply:
If you believe you are passionate and committed to human rights and have the experience and qualifications we are looking for, please send your application letter and CV, including your current salary, expected remuneration, three professional referees and day time telephone contacts to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject matter DEPUTY EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR/PROGRAMS COORDINATOR by 4pm, 14th April, 2017.