ILRI Senior Scientist – Molecular Breeder Job Opening in Nairobi Kenya
ILRI Senior Scientist – Molecular Breeder Job Vacancy in Nairobi Kenya
ILRI Senior Scientist – Molecular Breeder Job Recruitment in Nairobi Kenya
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Senior Scientist Molecular Breeder to lead the analyses and interpretation of molecular plant breeding data from projects being conducted by the Integrated Genotyping Service and Support (IGSS) platform.
- Lead the analyses and interpretation of molecular plant breeding data from project being conducted by the Integrated Genotyping Service and Support (IGSS) platform
- Evaluate the quality of the phenotypic data and develop phenotypic values for subsequent molecular analyses
- Use molecular marker data to conduct diversity and structure analyses of the populations and use the results to further inform the analytical strategy
- Conduct analyses to identify marker/QTL and marker/gene associations in different types of populations
- Estimate the accuracy of genomic selection and produce genomic estimated breeding values that can be used in selection
- Provide breeders with interpretation of the results of analyses and suggest how to use the values to improve the efficiency of their plant breeding programs
- Lead and/or contribute to publication of the results of the analyses and research
- Contribute to building the capacity in African NARS focusing on strategies to modernize strong breeding programs.
- Lead and or prepare the IGSS internal and external technical reports
- Participate in resource mobilization activities and proposal development
- Support the IGSS platform delivering both analysed data ready for joint interpretation by IGSS staff and clients, and a service to support clients with analysis and interpretation.
- PhD in plant breeding, genetics, quantitative genetics, statistics, or related field
- At least 5-7 years post-doctoral experience
- Practical experience in private sector working with genomics in plant breeding.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to perform in a multicultural research environment and as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Strong technical science writing skills as demonstrated by publications in at least four peer-reviewed journals and other publications
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Capacity building, both individual and institutional
- Interest in international agricultural research and development
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Skills with managing large data files and data bases.
- Advanced skills in data bases, Excel, R, and other statistical analyses packages are required
Position level: The position level is 5A.
Duration: This position is on a fixed term period of 2 years.
Benefits: ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes 15% Pension, Medical insurance, Life insurance and allowances for: Education, Housing, Relocation, Home leave, Annual holiday entitlement of 30 days + public holidays.
How to apply:
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training).