ILRI Scientist – Bioinformatician NGO Job Vacancy in Nairobi in Kenya Aug 2017
ILRI Scientist – Bioinformatician NGO Career Vacancy in Nairobi Kenya
ILRI Scientist – Bioinformatician NGO Job Opportunity in Nairobi Kenya
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock.
- Design and implement bioinformatics pipelines and sequencing methods for quality control, assembly, analysis and interpretation of high throughput sequence data
- Implement platforms for visualizing data outputs
- Design, establish and manage relational databases for storage, sharing and efficient retrieval of information
- Communicate results to the team, students and to researchers via presentations.
- Identify bioinformatics knowledge gaps and needs and develop solutions to address them
- Participate in bioinformatics training workshops for scientific staff at ILRI and students.
- Provide technical guidance and supervise interns and students leading bioinformatics projects at ILRI
- Publish results of research in high quality peer-reviewed international journals and attend meetings and conferences
- Participate in the development of new research proposals to mobilize bioinformatics funding at ILRI
- A PhD in Bioinformatics or a related field with a strong interest and experience in laboratory methods development, biological data analysis and biological interpretation of results
- At least 5 year post-doctoral experience in eukaryotic pathogen genomics
- Strong experience working with various data types, pipelines, validation, databases, and dealing with challenges in world of bioinformatics
- Programming skills including Perl, R, Python, Unix/Bash, C or C++. Familiarity with relational databases
- Working within a UNIX environment
- Experience in setting up bioinformatics workflows for large-scale DNA and RNA sequencing data sets using software pipelines in an HPC environment.
- Experience in integrating tools into pipelines and workflows and optimize their interoperability, efficiency, and usability
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills
- Ability to work in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams and experience working in developing countries
Position level: The position level is 4C.
Duration: 3 years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and continued funding.
Benefits: ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes 15% Pension, Medical insurance, Life insurance and allowances for: Education, Housing, Relocation, Home leave, Annual holiday entitlement of 30 days + public holidays.
How to apply: Applicants should send a cover letter and CV explaining their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development by clicking HERE on or before 17 August 2017.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
To find out more about ILRI visit our websites at http://www.ilri.org
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer.