HelpAge International Regional Communication & Information Coordinator Job vacancy in Nairobi, Kenya 2013
- HelpAge International Country offices, Affiliates and Partners
- Regional Development Centre Staff – to ensure consistency of approach in HelpAge International’s work in the region and to ensure the development of complimentary activities.
- UK Secretariat staff – to ensure consistency of approach in the development of resource materials within the HelpAge network.
- Be an active member of international communications team and co-ordinate activity between Africa and London;
- Staff and volunteers of NGOs, INGOs and Governments
- Develop, implement and evaluate an Africa wide Communications Strategy in line with HelpAge International Communication strategy and Africa regional strategy, with an objective to strengthen the EWCARDC’s role in advocating for the rights of older people.
- Promote communications to key stakeholders, within the network and other organisations interested in older people’s issues in the region, identified in the communications strategy.
- Design communications systems and strategies to reach key stakeholders and audiences and co-ordinate communication activities in the EWCARDC and support advocacy work in key areas such as Social Protection, HIV and AIDS, Emergency, Livelihoods, and Health, among others.
- Ensure Africa work in region is reflected on HelpAge website and promoted to regional stakeholders
- Develop and maintain relationships with national, regional and international media based in the region
- Monitor and track coverage of HelpAge key issues in regional and national media in collaboration with affiliates and partner organisations
- Organize media coverage and arrange for interviews and briefings. Respond to media enquiries and make presentations to a variety of groups on the activities of the organization
- Support affiliates and partner organisations in their initiatives to develop and maintain relationships with national and local media
- Support affiliates/partners and country programmes in their activities relating to 1st October (UN Day for Older Persons), Age Demands Action, World Aids Day and other relevant events through the sharing of advocacy/awareness raising ideas and information.
- Support the implementation of agreed advocacy/media campaigns in line with regional/country strategy.
- Strengthen capacity of affiliates and partner organizations by providing advice and support in development of their communication plan, strategic communications work and available resource materials to produce programme resources, e.g., brand, templates, publications and marketing forms, etc.
- Build capacity of programme staff and partners to produce quality communications.
- Work with programme staff in EWCARDC and country offices to promote information sharing within the region and globally and ensure regional funding proposals have strategic communication components.
- Compile, produce and distribute publications identified in the EWCARDC Annual Plan. The key publications are the regional newsletter (Ageing in Africa), Older People & HIV and AIDS in Africa, project updates, regional conferences reports among others.
- Compile, produce and disseminate briefing papers, articles and press releases on ageing issues in collaboration with programme staff
- Collect stories and visual material and document impact of HelpAge International’s work for improving awareness and to support fundraising and advocacy’s objectives.
- Manage the regional resource centre by maintaining a resource database, identifying and procuring resource materials.
- Ensure all materials produced reflect brand position.
- Maintain an up-to-date mailing list for distribution of newsletters and other materials and answer external parties’ general enquiries about ageing and HelpAge International’s work.
- Keep Africa pages of HelpAge website up to date with multi media content and co-ordine with country offices, provide regular new stories on work in region.
- Oversee information update on HelpAge internal website
- Facilitate the uploading of relevant programmatic and other information in the intranet
- Collect inputs for EWCARDC monthly report, compile and upload to the intranet.
- Be an active member of the HelpAge International communications team.
- Degree level education preferably in communication related field
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience of compiling, producing and disseminating information
- Experience of work with different forms of communication media e.g. written, visual, audio etc
- At least 3 years work experience with an NGO
- Experience of media relations and advising senior staff on media issues
- Experience of delivering communications training and capacity building
- Experience of briefing, commissioning and managing external suppliers (print, photography, editors etc.)
- Understanding of ageing issues preferred
- Ability to write narrative reports of a standard required by international donor organisations.
- Proven experience of writing for websites
- Fluent writing, speaking, and facilitation skills in English, including ability to proofread.
- French, Portuguese or Arabic would be an advantage.
- Sound knowledge of publishing, design and related information & communications technologies (Word, Access & DTP)
- Knowledge of content management systems (desirable)
- Ability and willingness to be administratively self-supporting.
- Ability and willingness to travel within Africa if required.
To apply for this position, please send an updated CV and covering letter by 25th October, 2013 explaining how you meet the criteria for the role to:
Africa Regional Development Centre,
P.O. Box 14888 – 00800