Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
Vacancy Announcement No: FAO/117/2013
Issued on: 25th October 2013
Deadline For Application:
1st November 2013
Position Title: National Programme Officer
Contract Type: National Personnel Project
Duty Station: Dollow
Organizational Unit: FAO-Somalia
Duration: 3 Months, with possible extension
Eligible Candidates: Somali Nationals Only
Anticipated start date:
Under the overall supervision of the Officer-in-Charge and daily guidance of the Programme Officer responsible for Dollow/Gedo programme and in close collaboration with the Sectors (Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries), the National Programme Officer will undertake the following tasks.
Support the Programme Officer in coordination, monitoring and supervision of implementation of FAO Somalia field programme on resilience and personnel in the assigned operational area;
In collaboration with NGO partners, lead and facilitate continuous community mobilizations and dialogues in planning, beneficiary targeting and participation in activities implementation;
Contribute effectively to the inception of field programme with key partners like WFP and UNICEF and participate in the identification and prioritization of interventions for FAO the resilience programme;
In close collaboration with the technical personnel, contribute to preparation of work plan detailing which interventions, when and where to be implemented;
Contribute towards the preparation of the situation analysis by compiling data, analyzing and evaluating information in close collaboration with technical personnel (agriculture, livestock and fisheries);
Support the establishment of collaboration with government counterparts, NGOs and private partners – on the resilience programme interventions;
Act as the key liaison person between FAO programme, local authority and community leaders and represent FAO forums as directed by the Programme Officer;
Support and coordinate technical assistance and other field missions to the programme area and where required, participate in needs and other assessments;
Provide general and specific analysis of security context and implication on programme delivery and security incidence reporting;
Prepare and submit weekly/monthly updates/briefs/report on security and programme implementation;
Prepare a terminal report upon completion of assignment;
Perform other duties as required.
Education: Degree in agriculture, social work, development studies or related discipline
- At least five years of field working experience with UN-agencies or international NGOs in Somalia.
- Knowledge in project design and strategy development and knowledge/experience of Somalia pastoral and agro-pastoral production system
Working knowledge (level C) of the FAO official language used for communication within the country (English, French or Spanish) and working knowledge of the local language(s) is required.
- Ability to effectively use standard office software, such as MS Office (Windows, Word, Outlook, Excel, Exchange) etc.
- Ability to use accounting software and other information systems and databases to insert data, make enquiries, retrieve/define ad hoc reports and analyses and edit results in appropriate format.
Office Management Skills:
- Systematic, well structured and efficient approach to work assignments.
- Analytical ability, accuracy and consistency.
- Exercise diligence and care in dealing with records and expenditures.
Interpersonal Communications and Teamwork Skills:
- The incumbent must possess a cooperative spirit, flexibility and openness to work in an international environment.
- Tact and courtesy.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of different national and cultural background.
Technical Competencies and further selection criteria:
- Experience in project planning, monitoring, evaluation, management;
- Knowledge of the humanitarian, recovery and development operations in the region;
- Ability to organize information from many sources into a concise and manageable form;
- Good working knowledge of English; and
- Computer literacy and ability to operate basic computer software packages.
Send your application to:
Candidates are requested to submit a covering letter quoting the Position Title and Vacancy Announcement No. FAO/117/2013 along with their current/detailed Curriculum Vitae and FAO Personal Profile Form (PPF) available http://www.fao.org/employment/irecruitment-access/en/.
E-mail is the preferred means of receipt and the application should be sent to HR-Somalia@fao.org
Applications must be received by the deadline.
Late applications will not be considered.
Only short listed candidates meeting all essential qualifications will be contacted.