Duma Works is recruiting a Director of Data science for one of our clients; a high-growth edtech company in Nairobi.
Director of Data Science Job Responsibilities
- Developing and executing a cutting-edge data science program that impacts the lives of our learners, generates social and financial returns for partners, and delivers business intelligence to the entire team;
- Running analysis between the company’s database and the databases of our multinational partners (banks, MNOs, agribusinesses, research consortiums, etc.) to identify correlations that will translate into major product innovations in both predictive and prescriptive analytics;
- Developing and sourcing solutions to integrate with the company platform that will process unstructured text received from learners in order for our system to better respond to their questions, direct learners to relevant content, and infer user traits;
- Designing strategies for accessing and generating training data sets, improving data privacy and security, and automating computation;
- Mining the millions of interactions in our system to uncover new opportunities for product development;
- Attracting, structuring, and coaching a team of data scientists and analysts;
- Publishing white papers on the technical innovations behind our impact;
- Contributing thought leadership with industry executives at the multinational organizations partners with;
- Participating in community events, trade meetups, and industry workshops in Nairobi and globally.
Qualifications for the Director of Data Science Job
- 8+ years of professional experience in data science, statistics, or mathematics with at least 3 years in a management capacity;
- Master’s degree preferred but not required;
- Advanced technical knowledge of R;
- Practical experience developing algorithms through ML and non-ML techniques to develop analytical products;
- Experience with classification, cluster analysis, data mining, database architecture, and visualization.
- Experience leading and training high performing technical teams;
- Ability to live and work in Nairobi full time;
Compensation and Benefits:
We aspire to be competitive on compensation although, as an early-stage social enterprise, many on the team work just below market rate. To make up for that, staff are able to participate in the company’s employee share program. We also offer a comprehensive health insurance package and will cover the cost of a work permit for foreign staff. Other benefits include monthly airtime allowance, extra leave, a stocked kitchen, and plenty of ping-pong and foosball.
How to Apply
Send your Cover Letter and detailed CV to firstname.lastname@example.org marking the subject as “3172”, Your Full name & Phone number e.g. 3172 Barack Obama, +2547xxxxxxxx. If you don’t follow these instructions, your application will not go through.
Deadline for receiving applications: Friday, 26th January 2018
* You will receive a confirmation email and an alert to take a basic screening test over SMS or online. The email with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The email/SMS test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background. Regular SMS rates apply to the test.
If you apply and don’t meet these minimum qualifications, we will not be able to move forward with you application.