CIMMYT Global Conservation Agriculture Program Research Associate Job vacancy in Nairobi Kenya today
Vacancy: Research Associate – Global Conservation Agriculture Program (GCAP), CIMMYT
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT® , is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over loo countries, and through offices in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
Through strong science and effective partnerships, we create, share, and use knowledge and agricultural technologies to increase food security, improve the productivity and profitability of farming systems, and sustain natural resources in developing countries.
We participate in an extensive global network of people and organizations who share similar research and development goals, including the public and private sector, non-governmental and civil society organizations, farmers, and the development assistance community.
We are seeking for a dynamic, experienced and resourceful Research Associate to support the Sustainable Intensification of Maize-Legume Systems for Food Security in Eastern and Southern Africa (SIMLESA) project in the Global Conservation Agriculture Program.
SIMLESA aims at increasing farm-level food security and productivity in full consideration of climate risk and change, making farm level production more resilient, profitable and sustainable, and taking significant numbers of farm families out of poverty.
The incumbent will work under the supervision of the CIMMYT Senior Scientist, to provide technical support to Scientists by carrying out the following activities:
- Organize, plant and manage maize-legume cropping system trails in Kenya and Tanzania.
- Organize, plant, and manage multi-location variety evaluation triais in Kenya and Tanzania.
- Organize, plant and manage seed increase activities in Kenya and Tanzania.
- Manage data collection from variety evaluation and cropping system trails.
- Carry out data entry, management and analysis for variety evaluation and cropping system trials.
- Coordinate and conduct on-farm trials.
- Assist in drafting technical reports and journal papers from CIMMYT research related work.
- Provide technical support to CIMMYT scientists.
- Supervise field staff.
- Network with partners / stakeholders and train them in cropping system, data collection and analysis.
- Any other duties and miscellaneous tasks as required and as assigned from time to time.
- Assist in drafting seminar, workshop and conference papers.
- Attend and participate in projects meetings, stakeholder workshops, and other events.
- MSc in Agronomy, Crop Production, Plant Breeding, or Crop Protection.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in a related field, including demonstrated experience in drafting technical reports and journal paper and in field experimental work.
- Strong statistical skills in SAS, Gensat or R packages.
- Proficient in English.
- Ability to prioritize and organize work efficiently and independently.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure with minimal supervision.
- Good interpersonal skills, integrity, honesty and self-motivation.
- Ability to work in a team environment in a multicultural and multidisciplinary setting.
- Valid driving license.
- Ability to travel extensively in East Africa region as required
Terms of Offer
The World Agroforestry Centre is an equal opportunity employer and offers a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment.
We believe that staff diversity promotes excellence and strongly encourage applications from qualified women.
This position is on local terms and will be for an initial period of Three (3) years, renewable, subject to six (6) months’ probation period, assessment of performance, continued relevance of the position and availability of resources.
The position will be based at the CIMMYT Nairobi Office.
How to Apply
Please combine into one document the following:
- A cover letter illustrating your suitability for the position against the listed requirements and salary expectations;
- A detailed curriculum vitae;
- The names and addresses of three referees, including telephone, fax numbers and email addresses;
- A copy of driving licence.
Go to http://worldagroforestry.org/working-for-icraf/vacancies
Applications will be considered until 13th November 2013.
Please note that only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.
We invite you to learn more about CIMMYT and World Agroforestry Centre by accessing our web sites www.cimmyt.org and www.worldagroforestry.org