Catholic Relief Services SILC Project Manager Job opportunity 2013 in Nairobi Kenya
Background: Catholic Relief Services – USCCB is the official agency of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops for relief and development overseas.
CRS supports programs in over 100 countries and works through local partners. CRS’ Savings and Internal Lending Communities (SILC) is a savings-led microfinance methodology that has roots in traditional community-based savings groups but improves upon those approaches by helping communities create accessible, transparent, flexible, and self-managed Accumulating Savings and Credit Associations (ASCAs).
The successful candidate require technical competencies, willingness to travel to field locations and a commitment to work with and support partners of CRS many of whom are Catholic institutions
Position: Project Manager – SILC
Note: This position is not guaranteed, as it is dependent on a successful donor funding approval.
Job Purpose: The Project Manager, SILC is responsible for the day-to-day implementation of an anticipated project funded by Financial Sector Deepening Kenya (FSDK) focused on enhancing and expanding the current SILC methodology in Kenya.
The anticipated project will work in Eldoret, Mombasa, Malindi, West Pokot, and Migori with the aim of
1) introducing low-cost technology to savings groups,
2) linking individuals and groups to the formal financial sector, and
3) increasing savings group outreach to the poor.
The project manager will oversee and manage SILC enhancement testing and roll out as well as SILC expansion with a focus on outreach to the poor.
The SILC project manager is based in Nairobi with significant amount of time in the field (40%).
- Serve as overall Project Manager for the project
- With partner staff, design and implement relevant, effective, efficient, sustainable interventions that achieve project goals and objectives in a timely manner, using donor-approved project documents and work plans to guide implementation.
- Collaborate closely with FSDK on developing and refining both e-recording and e-kit technologies.
- Develop and deliver a training program designed to increase SG outreach to the extreme poor and oversee the implementation of SILC outreach to the extreme poor. Coordinate PPI training for project and partner staff in order to measure poverty outreach of project clientele.
- Provide timely and quality monthly and/or quarterly CRS and/or donor reports.
- Supervise three SILC MIS/M&E/Project Officers.
- Provide overall financial management of the project.
- Conduct regular site supervisory visits to partners.
- Work with project officer to identify partner capacity gaps and strengthen capacities to improve on implementation.
- Liaise with members of the formal financial sector as well as agents such as M-Pesa agents to develop a plan for linking individuals and groups to the formal financial sector.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Requirement
- A Bachelor’s degree in social sciences or business-related subjects from a reputable university.
- At least 3 years experience in savings-led microfinance models (e.g. SILC, Village Savings and Loans – VSL; Community-based Savings for Empowerment – COSAVE; Savings for Change)
- Demonstrated commitment to development through local empowerment
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Experience with developing and implementing e-trainings preferred
- Practical experience in microfinance training
- Budget management experience
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- A professional with high level of integrity and good stewardship of resources
- Ability to cultivate constructive relationships and promote safety and security.
Written applications indicating the reference number of position applied for and CV including day-time contact phone numbers, as well as names and contact information of three references should reach the below-mentioned by Close of Friday November 8, 2013.
Human Resources Manager
Catholic Relief Services – Kenya Program
Catholic Relief Services – Kenya Program
Note: Please indicate the Reference Number of the position you are applying for on the ‘email
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.